CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Technology Will Kill Us All
The 2oth century brought us the two worst inventions in mankind's history. It's not the automobile nor the radio or even the television. The two worst inventions of the 20th century are the cell phone and the GPS Navigational System. Here's why.

The first is the cell phone. It used to be if someone couldn't reach you, they just couldn't reach you and would have to wait. Now these people call your phone at all hours, regardless of your location, ringing your phone everywhere from the car to church. And getting your voicemail will not suffice, if they can't reach you, they keep calling back until you answer. For me, I don't answer my phone and if you persist, I shut the phone off. I'm busy, deal with it. This small but influential invention has encouraged an already increasingly rude society to become even more rude and self centered. While some will argue it has allowed us to communicate even better, I argue it has done nothing but give us another item to lug around and be bothered with. We were fine without them and when the first came out they were simply a novelty. Now, not only do people insist they need them, but this "phone" isn't good enough unless it comes with an ob board MP3 Player, Internet access and a host of other things people don't need.

Navigational systems are bad, bad, bad, and anyone who argues they are good is not only insane, but he's fooling himself. Setting aside the idea that it makes it possible for "Big Brother" to track your every move, we now are slowly losing our ability to perform basic tasks like read a map or use a compass. Being reliant on technology for these kinds of tasks is just not a good idea, period.

Now, why are these two items evil? Well, both use GPS or "Global Positioning Systems" making the potential to turn them into human lo jack systems even greater. However, further than that, mankind is further losing his ability to survive. The more technology we allow to do work for us, right down to the laptop I am using to type this now, the less likely we are to survive in the event that this medium is disabled by an enemy. This, is a bad place to be.

What I've done to resist this: I refuse to give in to the navigational system craze. It's map or nothing for me. Let everyone else be baffled about how to plot a trip without a computer. Yes, I have a cell phone, but I got it for ME, not other people. If people insist on bugging me, off it goes. I simply won't be a slave to technology.

Also, I have antique radios along with radios with a backup hand-crank chargeable battery. TV? Nope. All I need is a shortwave with self sufficient abilities that can pick up long distance broadcasts. Survival also narrows down to learning basic skills such as making soap, candles, killing animals for food, and learning skills dead for over 100 years.

If we are end times people, we need to act like it. We need to re-learn the old ways, not completely abandon self sufficient skills making us completely dependant on technology. Such an answer is not a good one.

0 comments: