CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Why Metal? Why Not Jazz Or Classical?

I run into people everyday who just don't get it. And trying to explain it is a near impossible task. Now when I say "Heavy Metal" I do not mean this pre fab "Nu Metal" garbage the American Major Labels turn out. I mean Classic, Progressive, and Power Metal.

So why is it so great?

Anyone who knows me knows I am all about screaming guitars, vocalists with 3 octave ranges, and big big ass drums. I mean, lower the drummer in with a crane because its so big.

But it's been asked, "Is there any musical depth to your loud music?"

Yes.

Take At Vance, coverers of Classical pieces including Beethoven's 5th. Include a generous offering of music with a similar mood as the classic piece and you have a band that transcends many of it's peers.

Or perhaps you would choose Stratovarius, who's new Album Elements includes a huge choir.

Having some snot nosed little 16 year old brat call my music "P***y Metal" who obviously has obviously never listened to his own bands closely, such as Disturbed or Godsmack. Three chords, angry vocals about how everything sucks and completely disposable.

The only comparable band I have on my docket would be the immortal Annihilator. This Thrash Metal band could smoke both above mentioned bands. Jeff can crank out insane power chords with the best of them. But he also knows how to add Jazz licks, clean electric, phazers, flangers, wah wah (rarely) - you name it - all in the same song. And Annihilator's lyrics tend to be about losing one's sanity. We can all identify with that.

What about parents? "Jes' mo o' dat loud crap if you ask me!" Well, think of your Jazz or Big Band.

There is musical depth to the Metal I listen to. It's often deep, thought provoking, often romantic, and always full of substance. It's a musical ride through the human psyche and the winding, twisting road that is life.

Hence, I quote Stratovarious:
Will there come a time for me when I find peace of mind?
Will I always have this feeling like I'm last in the line?
I will climb up the mountain and light up the candle and ask:
"Will my soul ever rest in peace?"
Will My Soul Ever Rest In Peace? From Intermission.

Yeah, that was from a Heavy Metal band. Go ahead and put it in a box with other loud music. You're pure d wrong.

0 comments: