CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 01, 2003

Insanity: Here's Something That Bugs Us All

We've all heard them. They draw an irritated groan and an instinctive switch of the dial. In the industry we call them: Commercials. Yes, there are the ones that make us chortle, chuckle and giggle. But then there are also the irritating, awful, "Why the ?@#$! did they even record this damned thing?" commercials.

Now, it wouldn't be me unless I bashed a couple of these with a shovel, so here goes. Let's start with Ernie Bach Junior. "Sorry, you have bad credit... Sorry you have a reposession," etc. etc. This commercial rubs me the wrong way. First of all. If I have bad credit, I don't need some irritating salesman (who I don't trust to begin with, the lying sack of s), reminding me all the ways my credit sucks. Make your point. "You need a car, I can get you approved. Offer good from A to B." Then shut up, and get off my screen. Channel 7 needs to stop airing this before we all destroy our TVs with the nearest chair.

The next one is a radio ad for "Carl's Diner" in Worcester set to the music of "Mission Impossible" with some guy who is NOT a singer, belting out very poor lyrics which paint the picture of what Carl's Diner serves. "Eggs and ham, toast and Jam..." blah blah blah. This song was irritating the FIRST time I heard it. And every Worcester affiliate airs it. So now, I'm switching to Boston stations to escape this moronic drabble.

The last one is the notorious McKinnon's Meat Market ad that airs primarialy on weekends on WBZ in Boston. This commercial is another guaranteed channel changer. A bunch of guys chant every damn item McKinnon's offers at their butcher shop. Ok. It's a butcher shop. I think I can figure out the rest.

Point of fact: If your commercial irritates me; 1. I won't use your product just to spite you. 2. I will shut you off which is the opposite of what you want.

Stations who air these awful ads have an instant loss of listenership and should probably heavily advise against the client airing this for the above reasons. It simply brings no benefits.

So how can I sum this whole thing up? Insanity. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

0 comments: